A Journey of Thanks

This blog follows my personal journey of thanks. On Dec. 5, 2007, I turn 30. Over the next year, I will reflect back on my life and personally thank all those individuals who made a difference in my life. These thanks will occur through hand written thank you notes and face-to-face encounters. Along my journey, I will interview today's top experts on gratitude and capture my experience through a personal video journal. The end result is a documentary film called "A Journey of Thanks."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Day After Christmas...

...and all through the house not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. It's a pretty quite morning here at the Parkinson household. My wife and son are still up in Burlington, ND with her family and I'm home with the morning off sitting in a quite house taking these moments to be grateful!

I was thinking back on what this month was like back in 1977. On the 26th, I would have been only 21 days old and yet there would have been so many people I would have been grateful for already...all the people at the hospital, my family, friends of my family, strangers, etc.

I'm actually able to get a very clear picture of those first few weeks since my mother was so diligent at tracking those days in my baby book. What a trip to read her handwriting from 29 years ago! I was born on the 5th and had eight visitors that first day. On Dec 8th, we went home...on the 16th my cord fell off...on the 18th I went to church for the first time and played Baby Jesus in the Christmas program. Each experience, each moment leaving an impact on my life whether I was aware of it or not.

Today was the first time I actually sat down and read through my baby book. Being able to look back on those weeks with such detail is truly an amazing gift and I give thanks to my mother for keep such good records.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...
I do have to share how the power of thanks creates a clearing for clarity. In November, I videotaped my cousin's wedding and last week I couldn't find the video tape. So I was a little panicked and was "frantically" trying to find the tape. Okay, "frantically" is a little dramatic but I was trying to find the tape, no doubt. When I came up empty in the common places I decided to sit quietly and give thanks for finding the tape...the whole "Thanks in Advance" exercise. What I could remember about the tape was that it was green. So after I gave thanks for finding it, I was immediately remembered one other place to check...my other coat pocket. That night after work I went home to check that coat and sure enough "BAM" there was the tape. But the interesting thing was when I went to check the tape it wasn't the right tape! I had given thanks for finding the green one and I found the green one...now I realized I had to give thanks for finding the wedding footage...so I stopped gave thanks again and within a few moments..."BAM" the impression came to check the actual video camera box back at my work...well you can imagine how the "rest of the story" goes...I went to work and found the tape. So twice in the same search I gave thanks and produced results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home