A Journey of Thanks

This blog follows my personal journey of thanks. On Dec. 5, 2007, I turn 30. Over the next year, I will reflect back on my life and personally thank all those individuals who made a difference in my life. These thanks will occur through hand written thank you notes and face-to-face encounters. Along my journey, I will interview today's top experts on gratitude and capture my experience through a personal video journal. The end result is a documentary film called "A Journey of Thanks."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Ten Days of Insights

It's been ten days since my last entry, so here is a recap on what insights and miracles have occured since I last wrote...

THANKS IN ADVANCE
One of the first steps in my day on this Journey of Thanks is to give thanks for 5 things in my day that haven't occured yet. One of the things I've come to learn is that I do need to be specific in one I'm thankful for. Case in point, on Dec. 7th I wrote, "I'm so thankful for the unexpected check in the mail." Now in my mind I'm seeing this as money coming in but I wasn't specific about the details in the thanks. So when I went home for lunch that day sure as sh*t I received a check in the mail. It wasn't a check for money coming in it was a mix up at the bank and they gave us one of our checks back. Point is, Chanda and I had a good laugh because the universe did send me an unexpected check. We just got clear that we will be MORE SPECIFIC next time!

Another powerful example of this "Thanks in Advance" came on Dec. 8th. I was working on securing a location for a video shoot we were doing for work in Louisiana. Our original location had fallen through and our local contact wasn't sure of any other land, so I had made a call to the local visitor's bureau and indicated that we were looking for a park to shoot in. I also told the woman that if she knew of anyone who might have land to let us know. So when I arrived to work on the morning of the 8th I had a little anxiety about trying to track down this location when I was in Fargo and the location was in Louisiana. Solution...give thanks. That morning I wrote, "I'm so happy and grateful for securing the location for the Louisiana shoot next week." With in an hour I received an email stating, "Dear Troy, one of my coworkers has about 40 acres of land he is willing to let you use." There I sat, dumbfounded and THRILLED that the thanks in advance had manifested itself again!

FAMILY CONNECTIONS
I'm also grateful for a nice weekend Christmas with my Dad and family. It's always a joy to connect and to share full out what we are up to. Two gifts we gave to my Dad were "The Millionaire Maker" by Loral Langemeier and a copy of "The Secret" these are two items that have had the most profound impact on our lives this year. If you haven't read the book or seen the movie...stop everything you are doing and BUY THEM NOW! Another note...we saw "Happy Feet" this weekend and there was one moment in the film that really stuck for me. It was near the end and the song "Golden Slumber/The End was being sung by K.D. Lang, and I heard the lyrics, "And in the end - The love you take - Is equal to the love - You make." Now I've heard those lyrics before of course with the Beatles...but for some reason I was moved by that scene and the power of that statement sunk in.

THE PRESENT MOMENT
And speaking of the "Now" I've been listening to "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle It's a great text on remembering the power of the present moment...the now. I'm grateful to have the work come into my life. This Journey of Thanks brings you to that present moment...that experience of now. It's a powerful place to be and it's the only place we are...NOW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home